Design sales territories by ZIP codes
This article describes how to design sales territories.
Related article: Design sales territories by counties or states.
Related article: Visualize sales territories by ZIP codes.
In Map Business Online you can design sales territories by ZIP code, county, or state. More geographies are coming soon so you will be able to design territories by Census tracts, MSA, and other map areas.
In Map Business Online there are several methods of designing sales territory:
- Create sales territories from a file. This article describes that method in details: Visualize sales territories by ZIP codes.
- Design sales territory by selecting geography on map.
- Design sales territory by spatial search.
- Design sales territory from Data window using custom attributes criteria.
All these methods can be combined to provide powerful means of designing sales territories.
- Before you start let’s decide if territories can intersect. If you want to allow intersecting territories then do following:
- Open Map & Data window if it is not already open. Click Map & Data tab centered on the left side of map to open the window.
- Click gear icon on Map & Data window toolbar. ‘Manage map and data’ dialog will pop up.
- Select ‘Territory options’ tab in ‘Manage map and data’ dialog.
- Check ‘Allow territories to intersect’ box.
- First of all turn on ZIP codes map layer. You can do it either by checking visibility box in Map & Data window or by selecting ZIP codes map template. See picture below.
- You may want to zoom or pan map to the area where you plan to create territories. See following articles on how to navigate around map: Zoom & pan map; Find address.
- Let’s explore first method of designing or editing territories by selecting geography on map. Click any ZIP code on map to select it. Notice that small toolbar will appear.
Tip: If you don’t see ZIP code label you can stop mouse pointer over ZIP code and tooltip with ZIP code number will pop up.
- If your territory consists of multiple ZIP codes just click them all holding SHIFT key.
You may zoom and pan map as you work through selecting ZIP codes.
Once you have all ZIP codes are selected click puzzle icon on the small toolbar.
- ‘Create or edit territory’ wizard starts. If you create first territory then just enter its name in the dialog provided and click Create button. New territory is created on map and selected in Data window. You can see number of ZIP codes in the territory at the bottom of the window.
To change territory color open up colors box in Data window and select a color.
Notice how map legend appears with territory listed in it.
- If you already have other territories then you have more options on how to use selected ZIP codes: create new territory, add selected ZIP codes to existing territory, remove selected ZIP codes from a territory, or update existing territory to contain only selected ZIP codes. Choose desired option, territory, and click Edit button.
- Let’s now look at designing or editing sales territories by spatial search. You can use Circle or Polygon draw tools to search ZIP codes.
Tip: You may want to zoom or pan map to the area where you plan to draw circle or polygon. See following articles on how to navigate around map: Zoom & pan map; Find address.
- Click Circle or Polygon icon on Map Business Online toolbar and follow instructions that will appear in the upper right corner to draw circle or polygon on map. In the example below we search ZIP codes by circle near Dallas.
- If you have more than one dataset or map layer on map then following dialog will popup. Select ZIP codes layer and click Next button.
- In the next dialog select if you want to create new territory or to edit territory by one following means: add found ZIP codes to existing territory, remove found ZIP codes from a territory, or update existing territory to contain only ZIP codes found by spatial search.
Enter territory name and click Create button.
Or choose desired territory and click Edit button.
- You can also design or edit sales territories from Data window. Let’s say you want to edit territory to contain only ZIP codes that have household income greater than certain threshold.
- Start by adding household income data to Data window. Read this article on how to do that: View data in tabular form.
- Select desired territory in Data window using box on the upper left.
- Click Filter icon on Data window toolbar. ‘Filter data’ dialog will pop up.
- Inside ‘Filter data’ dialog select Demographic data and Median household income. Then choose ‘>=’ for greater or equal operation and enter desired income value into corresponding box. Click Filter button to apply that filter criteria to Data window.
- Now you need to update territory with ZIP codes found by data filter. Click icon on Data window toolbar as shown on following picture.
- In wizard that will start select ‘All locations visible in Data window’ on first page and click Next button.
On second page select ‘Update’ option (desired territory must be already selected) and click Edit button. The territory will be updated on map.
- Following help articles may be useful when designing territories:
- Read following article on how to show total sales or demographic data in territory callouts: Customize territory callouts.