Plot data from Microsoft® Excel
Map Business Online allows plotting data from Microsoft Excel workbooks of following formats:
- Excel 97-2003 (*.xls), Excel 2007 or later (*.xlsx)
To map your data from Microsoft Excel follow the steps below:
- If your data comes from a CRM system, contact manager application, or accounting package, importing data should be a breeze. Just follow instructions below. Otherwise you may need to re-organize your data to the format supported by Map Business Online. Check out Prepare data for plotting article for details.
- Click Plot data on Map Business Online toolbar.
- On the Select data page select Excel file that contains your data. Use Browse to locate the file. Then click Next.
- Select worksheet or range you to plot data from. This page appears only if you have more than one data range or worksheet in selected Excel file. Then click Next.
- Select columns that contain address information in your data. Map Business Online automatically selects these data columns for you. But check that automatic selection is correct. Once data columns are selected click Next.
- If you plot demographic or territory data by ZIP code then check the box below data columns selection. That will instruct Map Business Online to skip any ZIP codes in your data that have no corresponding boundary.
- Make sure that correct column is selected as Name. Name column is used to label your data on map.
Choose an ID column if you plan to update the data from file.
Select other data columns containing business data that you want to show inside map callouts (information boxes). For example: phone number, sales, number of products, product names, number of employees, territory, etc.
You can check “Import all other data columns for reference” box to import all data columns. Otherwise Map Business Online will import only data columns that you select.
Finally click ‘Plot’ to plot all data records on the map.
- Plotting data may take some time depending on number of records in your data and speed of Internet connection. Click Done to see your data on the map.
- After plotting data you may want to change dataset properties such as symbol or name. You can access dataset properties from Map & Data window. To open Map & Data window if it is not already visible just click Map & Data tab centered on the left side of map.
- Move mouse pointer over dataset name in Map & Data window and click gear icon that will appear to open ‘Manage map and data’ dialog.
- Once inside ‘Manage map and data’ dialog move mouse pointer over dataset name (dataset tab) and click pencil (edit) icon that will appear. Enter new dataset name and click ‘Change name’ button.
- If necessary change dataset symbol. You can also modify dataset symbol by clicking it in Map & Data window.
- To turn on or off callouts for your data on map first select ‘Callouts’ vertical tab in ‘Manage map and data’ dialog. Then click ‘Show callouts’ or ‘Hide callouts’ button (button will appear depending on current callouts state).
- To show/hide data on map check/uncheck ‘Visible’ box. You can also do that from Map & Data window.
- To remove dataset click icon with cross symbol. To remove all datasets from map click ‘Remove all’ button.