Print large map
This article describes how to print map area larger than one you see on screen.
Related article: Print current map view
With Map Business Online you can export large map that shows your business into Adobe PDF file. Later you can print the file from Adobe PDF reader software or send it to one of printing services like FedEx Office.
You can export map of up to 5 feet by 5 feet size.
Let’s say you want to print detailed streets map that shows 5 miles radius around Redlands, CA.
- Start by searching for Redlands, CA city center. Enter location into search box and click Binocular icon.
- Map will center on Redlands, CA and zoom to Streets level.
- You can remove pushpin and callout for Redlands if you don’t want it on printed map. Just click Clear icon to found location mini-toolbar.
- Now you may want to change zoom level. Instead of Streets level lets zoom to District level. Do it with Zoom control by moving slider to District position.
- Now as you have selected map center and zoom level click Printer icon on Map Business Online toolbar to start Print map wizard.
- In dialog that will appear select ‘Save map as PDF…’ and ‘Print map that will center…’ options and click ‘Next’ button.
You could draw a circle or rectangle on map instead and choose the option to print map inside the circle or rectangle area.
- Print map dialog pops up where you can define parameters of map to print.
- Start with map title and select font size and color.
- Select paper/page size that is supported by your printer. If you plan to send map to printing service consult what paper sizes they support and select one here. If desired paper size is not present in predefined list you can select custom paper size.
Choose paper orientation.
Let’s say your printer supports A4 format and you select it here for printing.
- Specify margins to use on each page. You may need to experiment to see what minimum margins you can use with your printer.
- You can see printed map size and approximate map extent at the bottom right of Print map dialog.
- As we need 5 miles radius map, let’s increase number of pages. As you add pages you can see new map extent at the bottom right of Print map dialog. That map will need 5 pages across and 4 pages down to show 5 miles radius.
If you find that you can’t make map of desired size in miles you will need to close Print map dialog and zoom out map few zoom levels.
- As you change settings in Print map dialog it updates printed map preview. This is not a complete preview and only shows printed pages layout and map extent that you will see in result.
- Click Next button in Print map dialog. Map Business Online starts rendering map. It renders map at 300 dpi or similar resolution except base streets map which is output at screen resolution.
It may take more than few minutes to render large map.
- Once map is ready Map Business Online shows dialog to confirm it. Click “Save as PDF” button.
- System File dialog appears to save map in PDF file. Make sure you keep PDF extension of file if you edit its name. Otherwise it will not be listed as PDF on your computer.
- Once you have saved PDF file you can open it with Adobe reader and print from there. In the case you don’t have Adobe reader installed load it from http://get.adobe.com/reader/.