Plot data from text file
Map Business Online supports plotting data from tab or comma separated text files:
- Tab or comma separated text file (*.txt)
- Tab separated text file (*.tab)
- Comma separated text file (*.csv)
- Tab or comma separated ASCII text file (*.asc)
To plot your data from a text file follow the steps below:
- Click Plot data on Map Business Online toolbar.
- On the Select data page select text file that contains your data. Use Browse to
locate the file. Then click Next.
- Check the Use first text line to retrieve data column names box to let Map Business Online
read the data column names. Click Next to continue.
- Select columns that contain address information in your data. Map Business Online
automatically selects these data columns for you. But check that automatic selection
is correct. Once data columns are selected click Next.
- If you plot demographic or territory data by ZIP code then check the box below data
columns selection. That will instruct Map Business Online to skip any ZIP codes
in your data that have no corresponding boundary.
- Make sure that correct column is selected as Name. Name column is used to label
your data on map.
Select other data columns containing business data that you want to show inside
map callouts (information boxes). For example: phone number, sales, number of products,
product names, number of employees, territory, etc.
You can check “Import all other data columns for reference” box to import all data
columns. Otherwise Map Business Online will import only data columns that you select.
Finally click ‘Plot’ to plot all data records on the map.
- Plotting data may take some time depending on number of records in your data and
speed of Internet connection. Click Done to see your data on the map.
- After plotting data you may want to change dataset properties such as symbol or
name. You can access dataset properties from Map & Data window. To open Map & Data
window if it is not already visible just click Map & Data tab centered on the left
side of map.
- Move mouse pointer over dataset name in Map & Data window and click gear icon that
will appear to open ‘Manage map and data’ dialog.
- Once inside ‘Manage map and data’ dialog move mouse pointer over dataset name (dataset
tab) and click pencil (edit) icon that will appear. Enter new dataset name and click
‘Change name’ button.
- If necessary change dataset symbol. You can also modify dataset symbol by clicking it in Map & Data window.
- To turn on or off callouts for your data on map first select ‘Callouts’ vertical
tab in ‘Manage map and data’ dialog. Then click ‘Show callouts’ or ‘Hide callouts’
button (button will appear depending on current callouts state).
- To show/hide data on map check/uncheck ‘Visible’ box. You can also do that from Map & Data window.
- To remove dataset click icon with cross symbol. To remove all datasets from map click ‘Remove all’ button.