Territories, regions, and divisions are geographic management segments designed to enhance the sales management process. These sales territory alignment areas of account responsibility, provide a platform for communicating goals, sales accountability, and for tracking progress against goals.
A sales manager in charge of a region is focused on the big company picture. She is directing her team of territory managers towards their regional sales goals.
A division sales manager is laser-focused on the biggest picture. She needs to make sure her regional managers have all the resources they require to achieve the overall company goals for the year. All the regional sales revenues and expenses roll up into the divisional numbers.
Map Business Online provides an easy-to-use mapping software for sales territories. Its territory process allows the choice between incremental cursor selection, polygon tool lassoing of areas, and a territory spreadsheet import to create new territories. Easy territory editing tools let the territory builder quickly alter their ZIP code, county, or other area component selection. MapPoint users will find this tool to be a refreshing step forward in digital sales territory management.
Creating Hierarchical Territories
In Map Business Online, the thing to keep in mind about developing territories, regions, and divisions is that they are built-in hierarchical fashion – territories first, followed by regions and then divisions. One feeds into the other.
- Create Territories First
- Territories may be created using spreadsheets referencing ZIP codes, counties or state map layers, plus a column for Territory Name. (Other map layers include Census tracts, Marketing Statistical Areas, and ZIP 3 areas.)
- Territories could also be created by using a polygon search tool used to lasso a series of ZIP codes, counties or states into a territory.
- Territories could also be created incrementally by selecting one ZIP code or county at a time with your mouse cursor (hold down the shift key for multi-select.)
- Regions are Created Next – A region is created by selecting two or more territories with a polygon search tool. Once you’ve selected your target group, finish the polygon and name the region. Do this for all your regions.
- Divisions are the Final Step – A division is created in the same manner as the regions are created. The only difference is in the case of division creation your polygon search tool is used to select groups of regions.
While you create territories or later as you create regions and divisions, you will begin to notice that the various layers obstruct visibility of the layer underneath. Regions cover territories and divisions cover regions. Map Business Online provides a set of map layer editing tools in Map and Data to resolve the overlaying visibility challenges.
Adjusting Your Territory Map’s Look and Feel
Use Map and Data’s Edit Map Properties function to edit the look and feel of the various map layers. These editing tools help the user create exactly the map view their map audience needs to see. Read more about Map and Data here.
To access these map adjustment tools hover your cursor over the Territory Map Layer and click the Edit Map Properties Button. A panel opens up and displays a series of tools that were specifically designed to support territory map editing. Within the map and data layer tools, you will find tools to:
- Adjust the thickness and color of territory map boundaries.
- Adjust the color fill of the territory areas. Most critical to territories, regions and divisions management is the Transparency Scroll Bar. This allows your viewers to see all hierarchical layers at once if you desire that.
- Choose to Hide Internal Boundaries (like ZIP code areas) that show in your territory map. You may choose to leave base layers visible if they are important to your map audience.
- Choose to color code the territory map based on demographic data or a numeric element, such as sales results included with your imported data.
Under Territory Options, Map and Data also provide the map creator with the ability to allow and display areas of territory overlap. Users typically display that overlap with a specific color choice like bright red. Here, toward the bottom of Map and Data the user can choose an appropriate map background – or none at all.
All of these tools impact the way your map looks. And this means you are going to have to decide what look and feel best supports your business’s territory map requirements. Read about business map look and feel here. But in general:
- Avoid obnoxious colors
- Help boundaries to be seen
- Make any text succinct and keep it pertinent to your map intent
- Avoid map clutter – too many data layers can be overbearing
- Try different color schemes
- Ask a colleague for their perspective
Import and Display Business Data
One important aspect of sales territory maps, especially with regions and divisions, is aggregating sales data by segment. With Map Business Online, imported data should include sales by time segment. Customer data can be imported by customer address and include a column for total sales by account. These sales records or points on the map can be easily aggregated into sales totals by territory, region, and division.
Map Business Online labeling tools are also located in Map and Data. Simply click Edit Map Properties and choose the Label Tab. Here you’ll be able to fill five flexible fields under each territory or region label with your most critical data totals. You could also fill these fields with demographic data included with your subscription. Read more about map labeling here.
All told, the above-described sales territory mapping tools provide an array of visual options designed to help your sales managers better monitor and manage sales progress against goal by territory, region, and division. Use these tools to share progress with your sales team or to present results to the management team.
Are you using the Map Business Online Desktop App for MAC or PC? It’s hipper than Instagram and it comes with your subscription. Escape Web-Browser Tyranny!
Value-Added Resellers – Offer the tool to your customers as a reseller. Make money on training and consulting. Contact us with further interest in reselling Map Business Online.
Win a $20 Gift Card! Refer a business associate to Map Business Online in exchange for a $20 Amazon Gift Card!
America’s best geo mapping software.
Find out why over 25,000 business users log into www.MapBusinessOnline.com for their business mapping software and advanced sales territory mapping solution. The best replacement for Microsoft MapPoint happens to be the most affordable. Discover Map Business Online – tools for making maps by map makers.