Demographic data is accessed by business map users to build location intelligence supporting business decision making. Sometimes the data is used to simply display population densities by area. In another case, that demographic data becomes the baseline data for establishing an addressable market for a product or service. Simple or complex, demographic data is important to business and market analysis.
Map Business Online provides access to Census Bureau demographic data layers. The data is sourced from the Census American Community Survey (ACS), which publishes updates to the ten-year Census. I’m sure the Bureau is preparing to gather a boatload of Census data as I write this, it being 2020 and all.
Map Business Online now comes in two flavors, Standard and Pro. Both versions of Map Business Online have access to the same demographic data. Any prospective buyer of Map Business Online can access those data layers using the Free Trial. You’ll be able to scroll through the data options. However, you will not be allowed to export any of the demographic data unless you purchase a subscription.
Demographic Data in Map Business Online Standard
The Standard subscription of Map Business Online offers access to demographic data in the usual Map Business Online ways. Those include these seven options:
- Color-shading map layers by Demographic categories. Click the Color Code Map button (Three Puzzle Piece button). Color any map layer by any demographic category. Application Example – color code ZIP codes by population density
- Conduct Summary queries on map objects like Radius searches and Polygons. Application example – export a quick spreadsheet of an area’s median incomes
- Append map layer Labels with aggregated demographic data. Application Example – aggregate all Hispanics within a territory label
- Sales Territory Analysis in the Data Window using the More Data button. Application Example – get a rough idea of how all sales territories compare in terms of total population. Are they balanced?
- Filter Demographic data layers in the Data Window. Application Example – filter city boundaries by highest proportion of median income
- Export Data Window reports. Application Example – build a population growth map for a strategy session
- Create simple calculations and sums of Demographic data layers in Calculated Data Columns. Application Example – display all ZIP codes by males ages 65 and up
Map Business Online Standard leverages all the above-listed access points to our growing Demographic Data library. You will find all major categories of demographic data listed. If you do not see the demographic data you seek, please let us know and we will consider adding it to our list of possible future enhancements.
Map Business Online Standard demographic data is most often used for these applications:
- The development of business map visualizations
- Rough balancing of sales territories
- Basic map-based market analysis
- Driving time and distance customer assessments for retail
- Querying and exporting demographic data for unique business assessments
- Insurance risk assessments by area of interest
Demographic Data in Map Business Online Pro
Map Business Online Pro accesses the same demographic data libraries as Standard. All the Map Business Online Standard features exist in Pro. From a product feature standpoint, the difference between Map Business Online Standard and Pro is:
- Pro allows up to 250,000 location points per map, and Standard is limited to 100,000 points per map
- Pro enables access to demographic data through two Advanced Market Analysis tools
- Pro enables hierarchical territory support
Advanced Map-based Market Analysis
Let’s review the access points to demographic data in Map Business Online Pro’s Market Analysis tools. The first five tools listed under Market Analysis are NOT designed to access demographic data directly.
- Search & Segment from Multiple Centers – Use this function to create advanced marketing lists or territories. There is no direct tap to demographic data, except through the territories or areas of interest created. From within a territory click Map Data.
- Two options for Batch Calculate Distance Queries – Two tools used for calculating distance queries across multiple locations and between two sets of data. Not used for demographic data access
- Find the Nearest – This proximity search compares datasets and appends the nearest locations. Not used for demographic data access
- Aggregate Customer Data – Use this tool to manage the application of imported customer data to geographic analysis. Not used for demographic data access
These final two tools listed in the Market Analysis Tools options are used to aggregate demographic data in Pro:
- Summarize Demographic Data – This tool will allow the creation of multiple radius searches and add three categories of demographic data to the analysis. Repeat to get more and more data
- Enrich a Dataset – Select your imported or created data in Map Business Online Pro and add selected categories of Demographic Data to the data layer
Two Demographic Access Points in Pro Market Analysis
Summarize Demographic Data in Market Analysis will allow the user to place multiple radii (more than one circle) around a list of center points at a user-defined distance and collect up to three layers of demographic data which will be added to the Data Window results. The multiple circles limit right now is 200 locations contained in an imported dataset or Map Business Online created marketing list.
You’ll collect three layers of demographic data with each pass. Once the initial query has been run, it is really easy to simply run that very same query again but change the demographic layer options to aggregate more layers. Rinse and repeat (do it again, until satisfied.)
This is an approach that can be used to generate results across an array of circles at different center points, or for a set of concentric circles around one central point. How cool is that?
Application Examples – Delivery circles describing fees for delivery by ZIP code. Multiple circle radii display demographic totals for a designated area around a central point – like a private school or a museum
Enriching a Dataset lets the Pro user import a dataset or create a dataset in Map Business Online and then add three demographic data categories to the original dataset by ZIP code, County or State. For more data, repeat the operation. Application Example – Product sales analysis enriched to expose market patterns.
Tapping into demographic data through a business mapping application is the process for collecting business or location intelligence; these two types of intelligence are practically synonymous. Use Map Business Online to overwhelm your business processes with data, then feed the decision-makers with exactly the data they need through a Business Map.
Are you using the Map Business Online Desktop App for MAC or PC? It’s hipper than Instagram and it comes with your subscription. Impeach Adobe Flash Player!
Value-Added Resellers – Offer the tool to your customers as a reseller. Make money on training and consulting. Contact us with further interest in reselling Map Business Online.
Win a $20 Gift Card! Refer a business associate to Map Business Online in exchange for a $20 Amazon Gift Card!