Search data by drive time
While radius search is simple and can be used in most cases sometimes you may need
more accuracy in what customers to reach with an ad or a visit. Use drive time in
such situations. Drive time takes into account road network and driving speeds.
Basically drive time can answer question of what users can reach my store location
in certain amount of time.
In Map Business Online you can create drive time polygons and search business data as following:
- First of all plot your data on map. Read following article on how to do that:
Plot data from Microsoft® Excel.
- Zoom into map area you want to search. Enter center location address, city, or ZIP
code into search box and click search icon. Use zoom control to zoom in or out.
See also this article on how to navigate around map: Zoom & pan map.
- Once you found center location you will see the small toolbar that appears near
that location. Click drive time (polygon) icon on the toolbar.
- Enter desired drive time in the dialog that will appear and click ‘Set time’ button.
- Map Business Online will create drive time polygon and select it. You may need to
zoom out a bit to see drive time polygon. To search within drive time area click
binocular icon on drive time toolbar.
- Alternatively you can select Drive time search tool on Map Business Online toolbar
and click desired center location on map while tool is active. Then enter drive
time in the dialog and click ‘Search data’ button.
- If you have more than one dataset or map layer on map then following dialog will
popup. Select dataset that you want to search and click Next button.
- If you do search for the first time then just enter name of marketing list in the
dialog provided and click Create button. New marketing list is created and selected
in the Data window. You can see number of locations or rows in the marketing list
at the bottom of the window.
Note: in Map Business Online we call subset of data a Marketing list.
- If you already have other marketing lists then you have more options on how to use
search results: create new marketing list, add locations found to existing marketing
list, remove locations found from a marketing list, or update existing marketing
to contain only results of the search. Select desired option, marketing list, and
click Edit button.
- In addition to spatial editing you can edit marketing list content from Data window.
For example if you want to remove particular location just click to select it in
Data window or on map. Then click Data window toolbar icon as you can see on the
- In wizard that will start select ‘Only selected location’ on first page and click
On second page select ‘Remove from’ option, desired marketing list, and click Edit
button. The marketing list will be updated and location removed.
- You can do more than just removing particular location. You can filter data by custom
criteria in Data window. See that link for more details: View data in
tabular form. Once you have filtered data inside Data window you can add
that content to new marketing list, existing marketing list, remove it from a marketing
list, or replace content of existing marketing list using the same icon as shown
on the picture above. Just select ‘All locations visible in Data window’ option
instead of ‘Only selected location’.
- If you decide to delete or rename a marketing list just click corresponding icon
on the Data window toolbar (see picture below) and select Manage marketing lists
- To delete a marketing list click cross icon inside Manage marketing lists dialog.
- To rename a marketing list click pencil icon inside Manage marketing lists dialog
and enter new name in the dialog that will appear.
- Finally you can export your marketing list to text file. Use the export data icon
on the Data window toolbar and enter name of your file.